Monday, October 14, 2013

[Recipe] "Pick of the Harvest" Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Salad

Growing up in (kind of, not really) rural Pennsylvania, it seems like every year we would take field and day trips to nearby farms and orchards in the fall and pick apples, harvest pumpkins, and take hayrides.  I went to a private school, so it was also an excuse for us to wear jeans and adorable flannel shirtsbecause there's nothing worse than scratchy hay on bare legs in pleated plaid skirts.  And we would munch on apples, sip on apple cider, and bring home a small basket full of apples for our mothers.  My mother, being Taiwanese, didn't make apple pie (though she does love it) or pumpkin anything, so she was always a bit perplexed when I came home with anything other than a jug of apple cider.  We would have apples in our lunchboxes for weeks afterwards to compensate.  Not that I'm complainingI love apples.

It's been years since I've been apple picking, but I've been feeling pretty nostalgic lately.  I've toyed with the idea of organizing a trip up with co-workers, but until I work out those logistics, I satisfy myself with recipes that remind and taste like fall.  At my local farmers' market this Saturday, I spotted fresh whole butternut squash (one of my favoritesit's slightly sweet and nutty and so hearty, a perfect, perfect autumn comfort food) and resolved to use it in my cooking for the weekend.

First up: something both light and filling for my workweek lunchbox: butternut squash salad.  I modified this recipe by Ina Garten, better known as the Barefoot Contessa, to include a few more autumn flavors and a bit more protein.

"Pick of the Harvest" Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Salad
a recipe inspired by Ina Garten

The star of this dish is definitely the butternut squashjust like I wanted.  I could eat a big bowl of it (shh... I may already have): the maple syrup glaze brings out all of its best flavors.  The slight tartness of the dried cranberries and the apple cider vinaigrette are the perfect complement to the sweetness of the butternut squash and the slight pepper taste of the arugula.  The avocado adds creaminess, and the nuts add crunch and highlight the slight nuttiness of the butternut squash.  I suggest adding Rotisserie chicken below but didn't actually use any in my versionI think it could be great, though (mm... salt), and would make the salad even more substantial.

Ingredients
1 (1-1/2 pound) butternut squash, peeled and diced
olive oil
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
1 minced shallot (should be approximately 2 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 ounces baby arugula, washed and spun dry
2 ounces mixed salad greens, washed and spun dry
1 avocado, diced (optional)
1 Fuji apple, diced
3 tablespoons dried cranberries
1/2 cups walnut halves, toasted
Rotisserie chicken, shredded (optional)
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Directions
1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2.  Place the diced butternut squash on a sheet pan.  Add 4 tablespoons olive oil, the maple syrup, at least 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and toss.  Roast the squash for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until tender.  Add the cranberries to the pan for the last 5 minutes.



3.  While the squash is roasting, combine the apple cider, vinegar, and shallots in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cider is reduced to about 1/4 cup.  Remove from heat and whisk in the mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.



4.  Place the arugula and mixed greens in a large salad bowl and add the roasted butternut squash, cranberries, walnuts, avocado, apple, chicken, and grated Parmesan.  Spoon just enough apple cider vinaigrette over the salad to moisten and toss well.  Sprinkle with sale and pepper.

No comments :

Post a Comment