Tuesday, October 15, 2013

[Music] Joe Paulson (live at Joe's Pub at The Public)

Last night I went to a Jon McLaughlin show at 11:30 PM at Joe's Pub at The Public.  I bought tickets late Sunday night-- and it was the best decision I've made this month.  I found out he was playing only by chance-- I "liked" him on Facebook years ago, and he posted a status update to let his fans know that his show the next night in New York City still had a few open seats.  I went by myself and fell hopelessly in love with him and his music all over again.  But I'm gushing ahead of myself-- he'll get his own post.


Jon's opening act was Joe Paulson, a singer-songwriter from Indiana who, according to his website/Facebook page, is an accountant by day and a musician with a heart of gold (he donates the majority of the proceeds from his merchandise sales to two extremely worthy charities) by night.  He and his music are earnest in every sense of the word.  His sound is similar to Jon's and it isn't-- his music is a little less intense and complex, which isn't meant as an insult by any means.  If pressed, I'd say he's like a cross between James Blunt and Matt Nathanson (both of whom I love-- do you see a pattern here?).


Here's a short clip of him from last night playing "The Fallout," the title track off his new EP.  Loveee the instrumental for this.



Unfortunately for the lucky few who are still waiting to see Jon on the remainder of his tour to promote his latest album, last night was Joe's last show with the tour.  But the man is definitely talented and deserves some views, exposure, recognition, etc., the whole shebang.
Check him out at: http://www.joepaulsonmusic.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/joepaulsoncommunity
Twitter: https://twitter.com/joepaulson

And I'll leave you with a short clip of him playing "Take Me Back Again," also from his debut EP: 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment