Tuesday, June 20, 2017

[Travel] [Fashion] Disneyland - What to Wear

I know I've said there's only one way to travel to Disney—comfortably.  But comfortable doesn't have to mean un-stylish.  In this age of social media, or even before it, you'll take more than a few pictures to remind you of your time at the happiest place on Earth.  Fashion is subjective, and you should absolutely do you and what makes you feel great (in other words, this is a disclaimer that how I like to dress may not be how you'd like to dress), but just remember to do exactly that—feel great and smile ear to ear in your pictures.

It's hard to imagine going to Disney and not getting caught up in the magic of it.  (I mean, unless you have no soul.)  To that end, I'm a big fan of adding a bit of Disney flair to your outfit.  Before I dive in to that, though, here are a few generic tips/thoughts to consider when planning out your OOTD.

1) The Golden Rule of Disney Travel: Travel Comfortably and Wear Comfortable Clothes.  This is both obvious and it isn't.  You'll be climbing in and out of rides all day/night, and when you're standing still, you'll most likely be standing in the hot sun.  Technically speaking, Tips 2—4 below really refer to comfort as well, just very specifically. 

I don't think there are hard rules around what you should and shouldn't wear because comfort can be personal—for example, I personally don't always find jeans the most comfortable, especially in hot weather—and yet, jeans were probably the go-to bottom for half of the other Disneyland visitors on my last trip.  I have no issue with wearing a skirt or dress so long as it has a bit of a flare to it (as opposed to a pencil skirt).  In fact, as you can see below, I wore swimsuit bottoms and would otherwise have considered safety shorts—but not everyone will feel that way.  I also tend to wear tighter shirts because I prefer their silhouette in pictures, but airy, loose-fitting shirts can often be more comfortable in the heat.

2) Wear comfortable shoes, preferably sneakers.  You will be walking quite a bit and, when you're not walking, you'll likely be standing in line.  You need shoes with good support.  If you have a favorite pair of sandals that don't chafe and have good support, by all means, wear those, but for me, no sandal provides the kind of comfort a good pair of sneakers can.

Don't, however, buy a snazzy new pair of sneakers (or sandals, if that's your thing) just before your trip or wear a pair that you haven't had time to break in yet.  There's nothing worse than being miserable in the parks in shoes that are chafing or giving you blisters.

My go-to "cute" sneakers are KEDS.  Unsurprisingly, the pair I'm currently sporting are Kate Spade x KEDS (specifically, this sequinned striped pair, which unfortunately are almost completely sold out), but they have many non-Kate Spade options as well.  In my opinion, KEDS provide pretty decent support and durability while managing to remain cute enough to pair with almost anything, from jeans to pretty sundresses.

And they even have Disney styles from time to time.  My favorite from the current collection are probably these adorable denim kicks (which you can purchase here): 


I also like these slip-ons (available here), but I'm personally always wary of slip-ons when I'm on the go.


3) Dress in layers.  Or bring them.  As I wrote in this post, while it may generally be hot during the day, it cools down at night in both Anaheim and Orlando.  You'll be thankful you came prepared with a second layer.  I opted not to bring a jacket because I didn't want to carry something separately and instead stuffed a cardigan into my bag.  Anything will work, though I would advocate bringing a second layer that doesn't require carrying separatelyI saw quite a few people in the parks with cute flannel shirts or thin sweatshirts tied around their waists.

4) Swimwear: optional.  Although I would strongly advocate bringing both a poncho and either flip flops or an extra pair of socks in case you get wet (see this post for more tips on packing for the parks), swimwear is truly optional for adults so long as you're not planning to visit the two water parks in Orlando.  For reference, the main water rides outside the actual water parks in Orlando are Grizzly River Run at Disney's California Adventure, Kali River Rapids at Disney's Animal Kingdom, Splash Mountain at Disneyland or The Magic Kingdom, or even the Pirates of the Carribean rides at Disneyland or The Magic Kingdom—but you really just don't get that wet that your clothes won't otherwise dry quickly in the sun.

If you have kids, though, I'd suggest bringing swimsuits or having them wear them under their clothes, as they might like to cool off in Princess Dot's Puddle Park, a cute assortment of water fountains located in "A Bug's Land" in Disney's California Adventure, or its equivalent at Fantasyland at The Magic Kingdom, Casey Jr.'s Splash 'n' Soak Station.

Just a note, I did personally wear a swimsuit under my clothes both days, but I did this more for coverage than for any concerns about staying wet.  I reasoned that I would feel less conspicuous if I got wet and what shown through was a swimsuit—and that I the swimsuit bottoms would double as "safety shorts" underneath my skirt.

Now that the practical stuff is out of the way, we can get down to... Disney Flair!

Actual Disney costumes are not permitted to be worn to the parks by anyone aged 14 or older, except perhaps for certain special events, such as Mickey's Halloween Party at Anaheim's Disneyland Park or Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party or Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, both at Orlando's Magic Kingdom.  (Check out those pages for the special dress/costume rules for those events.)

But just because you can't wear a real costume doesn't mean you can't join in the fun on the regular.  Here are four ways you can show your Disney pride.

1) "DisneyBound".  "DisneyBound" is a term coined by Leslie Kay of, well, DisneyBound.  It describes the practice of using fashion to evoke Disney while not going full costume or cosplay.  So, for example, you might use the same colors in your outfit as Rapunzel has in hers, or you might choose to wear something nautical when DisneyBounding as Donald Duck.  Instead of dressing exactly like Ariel in the picture below, I tried to evoke the image of her through wearing green and letting a hint of purple show through in my swimsuit (which, full disclosure, is a swimsuit inspired by Ariel from The Good Witch on Etsy).


Leslie's blog and Pinterest generally are full of inspiration boards, but you can also always make things your own, since it can otherwise get difficult to exactly replicate someone else's Pinterest board outfit.

2) Disney-licensed clothing.  This really can be divided into two categories: the first category covers Disney-licensed clothes that can really pass for DisneyBounding.  The second category covers Disney-licensed clothes screened or printed with character's faces or scenes from a Disney film.

If you're interested in the first, Hot Topic is a surprisingly great source.  I've linked here to their main Disney merchandise page, which will also show you lots of bags and also clothes falling into the second category of Disney-licensed clothes, but if you go back to the page on a fairly regular basis, you'll see that they update the selection periodically.

I currently love the below dresses: respectively, MulanBelle (from Beauty and the Beast), and Tiana (from The Princess and the Frog).


Other brands often get involved in Disney gear, but they do it with some irregularity and it's hard to predict who will or won't.  In the past, though, one of my personal favorite repeats has been Lauren Conrad (yes, of Laguna Beach fame), who has put out collections inspired by Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, and even Bambi.  The shorts I'm wearing in my DisneyBound outfit below are actually from her Minnie Mouse collection (note the adorable over-sized bow in the front).  She doesn't have a Disney-inspired collection out at the moment, but the odds are high she'll release something new in the future, so keep your eye on her page at Kohl's, with whom she has an exclusive deal.



The last thing I'll plug in category #1 of Disney-licensed clothing is The Dress Shop, which opened in March 2017 at The Marketplace Co-Op in Disney Springs in Orlando.  (Select designs from The Dress Shop are also available at Disney Vault 28 in the Downtown Disney District in Anaheim.)

All of the dresses and accessories from this collection are adorably retro and perfect for Dapper Disney.  They include pieces inspired by the rides, like The Haunted Mansion or The Tower of Terror (below), or by Disney characters and movies, like Snow White (below).

Photo Credit: Disney Parks website


My personal favorite, though, is this amazing Alice in Wonderland/Beauty and the Beast dress by Pin-up Girl Clothing (officially, it's the Renee dress in Roses Border print).  I've actually set up an alert on eBay in a desperate attempt to snag one of my own, since I won't get down to Orlando until much later this year and the dress is virtually sold out already at The Dress Shop.  Sad face for me, but may the eBay odds be ever in my favor... 


Now, on to the second category of Disney-licensed clothes.  These are ubiquitous, and you're likely to find a Disney-licensed shirt at any major department store, on Amazon, at Hot Topic, Box Lunch, through Uniqlo, etc.  And, of course, from The Disney Store itself.  The possibilities are endless, and it's really up to you as to what you're looking for.  Here are a couple of options I either already have or am currently coveting.

These are both from Zara: Winking Mickey Tee | Mickey Mouse Jeans

And here are a couple of unexpectedly lovely Beauty and the Beast and Alice in Wonderland kimonos, available at both Hot Topic and Box Lunch.




This last website is one that I'm pretty sure isn't officially licensed, and I'm sure some might disagree as to whether we should buy these at all due to that fact, but I adore TeeTurtle.  On a quick search, they don't seem to currently have any classic Disney gear, but they do have Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy/other Marvel.  I fell in love with them when I received the below shirt (it's just the design) from my sister for my birthday because it represents everything I love.  They are worth bookmarking and checking periodically for cute new merchandise. 



3) Customizable Disney.  Customizable Disney is using things like iron-on patches and Disney pins to customize your own shirts, pants, or hats.  This is not something I've ever done myself, but I saw the cutest Mickey Mouse patch jeans from Zara (the style appears to have been available in the UK in early 2017): 



... and I thought (notwithstanding that I have these jeans on eBay watch/alert), you know, I could make these (or something very similar) myself.  There are so many adorable Disney or Disney-themed patches for saleEtsy is a treasure trove.  And the process looks fairly easy.  Again, though I haven't done it myself, I've bookmarked and linked here a tutorial for DIY patch denim from Disney / STYLE.

Then there are Disney pins.  Disney pin trading was introduced at Disneyland in 1999 (although pins were available for purchase before then).  Pin trading with other guests seems fairly self-explanatory, but what's cool about the "official" pin trading is that you can also trade with Disney Cast Members (what they call their employees).  The pins are themed collections, and there are different price points, but multiple collections are released every year.  You can check out this guide from The Disney Dose if you'd like to read up on pin trading.

People style and display their Disney pins in different ways, but some of those ways relate to their clothing or accessories.  I would personally recommend something durable, like a backpack, hat, belt, or denim.  If you're looking for cute ideas, Disney // STYLE is a good place to start.

4) Mouse Ears.  And, finally, Mouse ears.  Nothing says Disney like Mouse ears, but the amazing thing is just how many kinds of Mouse ears there are.  In addition to the official Disney-licensed merchandise you can buy at the parks themselves or at/from The Disney Store, there are tons of makers of these ears on Etsy.  I haven't ventured into this world yet and so don't really want to plug any particular shop, but the options are truly staggering.  Some of the creations are classic, and some are creative (for example, Disneyland-rides themed) and, frankly, bordering on art or couture.  Some will even allow you to customize your ears.  When it comes to Mouse ears, the sky's the limit, and I love how easily they can immediately "Disney-fy" any outfit.


Other Disney and Universal Studios Posts
Need a place to stay?  Near Disneyland
Need tips for flights and tickets?  Check here
What should you pack?  For Disney

No comments :

Post a Comment