Wednesday, September 9, 2015

[Recipe] "Once Upon a Dream" Cheddar Apple Muffins with Maple Candied Bacon Topping

I don't usually dream.

Or maybe I do, but I seldom remember my dreams.  The ones I do remember are often hyper-realistic, with only a very slight element of fantasy in them to remind me that no, So-And-So wasn't actually a jerk to me (or no more than usual), and I shouldn't not be on speaking terms with them.  Or else they're super-fantastical and all in animation, like the time I had an entire dream starring the cast of Disney's Aladdin on skateboards.

But last night I slept early, and this morning I awoke early, rousing from a dream of bacon, cheddar, and apples.  Some might have rolled over and gone back to sleep, hoping for more dreams.  But I decided to get up instead and see about making those dreams come true, humming the theme from Sleeping Beauty all the while:

Soundtrack - Once Upon a Dream
I know you
I walked with you once upon a dream
I know you
The gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam
And I know it's true
That visions are seldom all they seem
But if I know you
I know what you'll do
You'll love me at once, the way you did once upon a dream

How about you, dear reader?  What's the most fantastic dream you've ever had?

"Once Upon a Dream" Cheddar Apple Muffins with Maple Candied Bacon Topping
an original recipe by tammiest (the Passionfruit Fashionista)
with inspiration from Wanna Come With? and The Clever Carrot
Makes 12-14 muffins

Muffin Base - Ingredients
1 large egg
1-1/4 cups milk
4 oz. lunchbox-sized applesauce
1 apple, small diced
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Candied Bacon - Ingredients
4-6 slices bacon
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/8 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Candied Bacon - Instructions
1.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2.  Wrap a rimmed baking sheet with at least two layers of aluminum foil and top with a wire rack (if you have one).
3.  In a medium bowl, add the maple syrup, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, salt, and cayenne pepper.  Mix well.


4.  Add the bacon to the bowl and toss gently with your hands.  Make sure that all of the slices are evenly coated.
5.  Place the bacon in a single layer onto the wire rack or directly onto the pan (if you don't have a wire rack).
6.  Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes.
* Note:  In my vision, the bacon will finish its crisp with the muffins.  If you want to have true candied bacon, bake for 20-25 minutes, checking to make sure the bacon looks slightly dark and crispy.

7.  Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes on the rack or on paper towels.  Then, using a knife, shred/dice/crumble the bacon into small pieces suitable for topping.

Muffin - Instructions
8.  While the bacon is in the oven, you can start on the muffin base, but remember to preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit before baking the muffins.  Either lightly grease your muffin tin or line with paper liners.


9.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and grated cheddar cheese.  Whisk together well.


10.  In another bowl or a large measuring cup, lightly beat together the egg, milk, and applesauce.
11.  Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and gently stir until just blended.  Mix in the apple dices, but try not to overmix.


12.  Fill the muffin cups and bake for 6 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with a small amount of crumbled candied bacon.  Bake for another 7-1/2 minutes.


No comments :

Post a Comment